The United Nations declared the year 2014 as the year for Palestine. This declaration will certainly mobilize and energize the anti-Israel forces to a higher level. It is almost certain that the South African Government will either implicitly or explicitly support these forces.
Israel as a nation and Jews in the Diaspora will inevitably feel the heat, but as so many times before during crisis, they will prevail. Although the Government of Israel will experience tremendous and sometimes almost intolerable pressure, the security of the country should never be compromised, even if the cost is very high.
Joel, one of the sages of Israel, prophesied the events which we might see in 2014. Joel warned the nations against the division of the land. Although Israel might feel that all the nations are against them, they need to remember that God with Israel is a majority.
What could the gentile friends and supporters of Israel do in 2014, the year for Palestine? I believe the following needs to be done:
- Christian Zionists should arrange special prayer meetings to pray specifically into situations that might develop.
- Actively support pro-Israel rallies on a massive scale.
- Actively use social media to counter possible biased reporting.
- Send regular updates regarding developments to Zionist Christian leaders.
- Strategy meetings with Jewish and Christian Zionist leaders
- Attend BDS meetings and anti-Israel rallies to be an ear for our Jewish friends. Use the gathered information to strategise counter-actions in conjunction with Jewish leaders
I want to remind my fellow Christians of the prophetic times we live in. It is a time in which we need to be seriously reminded of our Judeo-Christian values. These values demand from us to seek and speak the truth about developments in Israel and most importantly, to reach out and offer unconditional friendship to our Jewish friends.
We cannot allow a repetition of history in which despicable acts of hatred started with seemingly innocent xenophobic language and small acts of racism. We need to identify evil at an early stage to be able to act on the root causes.
Let me be frank. The year 2014 will not be for the faint-hearted. More than ever, we need to speak and act with wisdom, discernment, courage and confidence. Our actions need to be calibrated for maximum effect and positive end results.
At the moment of crisis, family, friends and community often rise to the occasion. Let us rise to the occasion in 2014.